Tuesday, June 24, 2008

George Carlin

There is an old saying about how it is easier to cry over one death than a thousand.
Once the body count rises, death becomes a statistic, not an actual event.... apparently.


I find it amusing how the nation "mourned" for the death of George Carlin. In honesty, he was no different than any other person on earth. For that matter, he is no different than anyone else in the United States. Random stat for you, just to make an observation... approx. 2.4 million people died in the US alone last year. ha. I bet you actually just skimmed that number. I would, in fact, I just did after re-reading this post. 2.4 million people is quite the body count. Sure, many of them died of natural causes, but many of them didnt.

I understand why George Carlin was important/famous, and I am not being disrespectful to him... in fact, this statement is completely irrelevant to him as a person.

That being said, why is it that we will all feel "sad" about the death of one, while ignoring the deaths of millions of others?

I think, perhaps, that I have taken an even worse route to this entire situation. In all honesty, I really dont emotionally associate with this death. (that would be the more politically correct way of saying that I just dont care that he died)

Death is a funny thing like that. I am still not sure why so many people cry over it... and for that matter, are so afraid of it.

No comments: