Friday, December 08, 2006

Interesting Thought

In retrospect /analysis of my own life I have been thinking about the life of Jesus. Currently, I have been troubled by a decision. The University of Tulsa is a great  place to be, but I feel I really need to be saturated by the word of God, and really need a nurishing enviorment to study and seek the face of God. Because of this, I am taking steps towards transferring to Grove City College to study Christian Thought. You can see a discription of the major Here
It seems to caputre what I want to study right now, however, I am also 
afraid that I might be abadoning my friends and my community for the pursuit of my own walk with God. I am a firm believer that community and fellowship with others is a huge part of our walk with God, but right now I feel like I should be preparing myself and seeking God, in a sort of temporary independance.  

So, I started to look at the life of Jesus and noticed something very interesting. Aside from him leaving his home to go preach elsewhere (which I understand may not be my case as I have a good home and family) - here is an ineresting thought:

Jesus didnt start "His time" until he was around 30 years of age. Also, there is no real record of his earlier life. You never see his "old friends" appear anywhere. It seems that when Jesus hits 30, all he has is his family and his "brother".

I have been really pressed hard by people and life that there is a rush for community, and a rush to establish tons of relationships with tons of people around you. But I dont think that is right. I have said this before, and will say it again. For me, college is a time of preporation. I fully intend to cast myself and my life into the depths of this world, but to do it without any sort of preperation just wouldn't be smart. Im not saying I am hesitant to go out into the "real-world", because if any of you know me, you know that hesitant is one thing I am not. I am just saying that maybe there is some significance to the fact that it took Jesus 30 years to be "ready". And perhaps we should be willing to spend a few years ourselves.

Thoughts?

-Z

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Grove City? I've been there.
As for taking the time to prepare yourself away from the rat race, you are brave. Clearly, I don't know whether or not you are supposed to spend the next few years in relative solitude. However, it takes courage to be willing to devote yourself to God's calling. I hope you find what ever it is that you are looking for. Come to think of it, what are you looking for that made you pick Grove City?
Jen