Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Humanities

By definition, a course in Humanities is the process by which we become more humane. Here at Grove City College, we are required to take 6 classes in the Humanities... apparently to the great objection of the majority of students. I am not sure if students object to the Humanities because they are required or if it is because people dont actually care what the class has to offer... but non-the-less, I love the class. Here is why:

On the second day of class our professor made the announcement that his class would in no way help us make more money in life. The soul purpose of this class is to culture us and to give us the oppertunity to be better humans. Sure, it might seem like a waist of time to most, but quite frankly- that is part of the reason I am here: to become a better person. I think most people would agree that for the most part, what you learn in college (academically) is not directly utilized in your profession. Instead, most of the knowledge is learned by "on the job training". What does matter in college, however, is the person you become in those 4 or so years. Quite frankly, it is the primary reason I am in college. With my knowledge of computers, I could have easily entered the job-market doing computer repair, or web-site design... but as I have posted earlier, I knew I need to advance as a better person first. And that is what humanities is all about- culturing us, and broadening our perspective so that we go into the world with our eyes wide open, but also secure in our faith (not out of ignorance, but because it is what we know is true).

There is a saying here at GCC that goes something like: "Grove City College, where your best hasn't been good enough since 1876." In these last two weeks, I have come to understand what people mean by that. There is a crazy amount of work to do here. Granted, it might be because of my major being one that requires alot of reading, but still... it is very hard here. Since I have been here, I have quite literally read over 4 hours a day and I am still behind. But the irony in all of this is that the professors really arent asking more of me than is possible. There have been moments when I have goofed around, did nothing but look at facebook... and those moments have cost me time. Now, dont get me wrong, I do have a social life here- I was just refrencing the "idle time" that I somehow stumble upon throughout the day.

In many ways, the work required of me here at Grove is similar to the work God has for all of our lives. They have given me more than my current self can do alone, but still, deep inside of me- I know that it is possible to finish everything, and to do it well. In life, I believe God works the same way. It seems to me that when God moves, he often thrusts us into situations where our current self is inadequate, and only by the leading of the Spirit of God, as it educates and guides us, can we finish the task at hand.

So as for me, I love the crazy amount of work. It is a healthy challenge. How else would I improve as a person. If I am tested to my current ability, then why would I have to rise up/ improve as a person. This saying goes for about any sport out there. When you are training or playing a sport, your skill will often reflect the quality of players around you. Now, there are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part, we all need some iron to sharpen ourselves againts from time to time. For me, this is the place to be sharpened.

One of my favorite sayings from highschool was: "The victor is defined by the size of his opponent."... and really, that is so true in life. Had David not defeated a goliath, there would be no great story to tell. But in every instance, God called David to rise above his previous abilities to reflect the glory of God.

So, word of the day- If you want to know what the calling of God is on your life, look for something you can't do on your own, because only then can the glory of God be shown.

-Z

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled on this, and had to leave a brief comment: you're absolutely right!

My husband and I graduated from GCC in the 90's, and SO often we still have discussions with one another about things that we covered in our humanities classes. The growing that you do in college FAR eclipses the "major-specific" course work, in terms of affecting the rest of your life.

The Lord used the faculty, admin, and students of GCC to stretch us, grow us, and change us. We are forever grateful for His provision in that. Even when I had trouble staying awake during the humanities course on art and music (was it 301? Bev Carter, I remember, taught it) I was still exposed to things I wouldn't have taken the time to experience on my own.

Oh, and I love that line about your best not being good enough since 1876 - so true! But really, if you want to get deep about it, no one's best is ever good enough - which is why we all desperately need Christ.

Enjoy and treasure your time at Grove City! May you look back on it as fondly as we do! Our years there were so special (though neither of us would trade marriage or parenthood to go back - talk about sanctifying experiences, lol!).