Thursday, March 20, 2008

Halo

Why is Halo so popular?

I play Marvel Ultimate Alliance in my free time... as I just beat Rainbow Vegas.

I have played these types of video games since I was a kid... and I get addicted to them until I have beaten them.

Understandably, Halo introduces a fluid environment where you can play with other people... making it more challenging.

The question still remains. Why are people addicted to Halo? What does it bring them that make it worth the time sacrifice to play?

And while we are at it... why does everyone love Lost?

[disclaimer: I love both of these things, but I want to know why I am addicted...]

1 comment:

Amy said...

I've played Halo before, and it's ok. I'm not a fan of games where the whole point is to kill the other team, seems pointless. Anyway...

I see Halo as a place for boys to be men without becoming men. They play all day, and become "experts" who have great skill. They compete with other people, trying to become the "alpha gamer". However, no one has to DO anything. I've seen my brother become phenomenal at computer games before, simply the best...but...what does it achieve? What honor is there when a person is fourth in the nation for a song played on expert (Guitar Hero 3)?

When someone strives selfishly to become great, and there is nothing of value produced or learned, then there has only been waste. Like I said, Halo is a place for boys to be men without becoming men. That and there is no physical effort needed for Halo, except getting more food/soda in between map changes.