Monday, December 24, 2007

distance

I would travel all day to see a friend if they wanted me to. I would have no problem doing that. Even if that meant a 20 hour drive alone so we could talk for only 5 hours... just so I could then drive another 20 hours back... I would find it worth it.

Friends are worth that to me. The distance is worth it, for a friend.

For some strange reason, it is easier for me to do big things for friends than small ones. It is easier for me to commit myself to a 5 hour coffee session at 2am than to call someone back within the week, or return an email soon.... I am not sure what this is. Maybe it is because I find the coffee conversation worth it. Small talk about life, maybe not so much... but something worth talking about for a few hours... with someone who wants to talk with me. That is worth whatever distance.


I was thinking about this the other day, in reference to friends and with reference to relationships. I guess I have just never really thought about this before. I would date someone on the coast, or even in another country, if she was the one. I would have no problem driving that distance how ever often I needed to so that things would work between us, if she was the one (either for me at that time in my life, or for forever). The same applies to friendships with me. I am a pretty social person, but I only really become friends with a few people. To those people, I am willing to do whatever it takes to make it work.

I just want that to be known. I am willing to do whatever it takes to make it work. I just need to know what I should do. Friends are worth it to me, so long as they give a damn about me too.

*** as a note, this is more of a statement of who I am, or who I want to be, than directed at one person in my life ***

No comments: