Tuesday, April 01, 2008

good people

I just want to turn out good people.

No matter how short a time I have with someone, or some group of people... when the conversation or our time together is over, I just want to know that after everything is said and done, and they have had time to think about that experience... in some way, they are a better person for having spent time with me.

My grandfather passed away when I was a senior in high school. For those of you who dont know... he was a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, and a war vet in his lifetime. He left high school about half way through after winning the national science fair. Ironically, he has his law degree and medical degree, but no high school diploma. During his life, he taught at a college, he was a medical doctor for several years, then finally he spent several years as a lawyer, specializing in cases dealing with advanced medical issues.

Right before my grandfather passed away, my father asked him a question. "If you could do it all again, what would you do differently?" His response was that he would have spent far more time teaching than just being a doctor or a lawyer.

I think I am beginning to understand what he was getting at. It fells good to feed into peoples life. It doesn't have to be teaching a class, or lecturing a friend. I think you can teach (perhaps more effectively) without ever opening your mouth. Wherever I go, whatever I am doing, I would like to be teaching the best principles that I know.

That is my life goal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be certain - beyond a shadow of a doubt - that what you're teaching is right.