Monday, April 14, 2008

Hope

I watch movies, listen to music, watch vLogs, and teach others because it gives me hope. To me, all of these are luxury items... things I suppose I could technically do without. I do not always pursue these things for this end. Sometimes I watch movies to waste time, or teach the class because I believe in the power of good wisdom in a person's life.

At the end of the day though, these are the little things that give me hope. I am sure there are more... seeing a sunset with a friend in a place you have never been before, watching someone show grace to me while trying to merge onto the highway. Those are things that involve other people though, and to be honest, I do not often find myself at the grace of others. Often enough though to not turn a cynic just yet. :-)

Movies, music, vLogs, and teaching brings me hope. It is not that my life is so dismal, dark, nor depressing... it is just that right now, where I am in life, I am really appreciating hope. I think that is why I do not do well to be alone... for me, in people I find hope. It is strange... I suppose I am not as independant as I once though. I believe that is a good thing. :-)

For those of you that dont know, I write on my walls in my room at home. One of the phrases on my wall, between the two windows looking out into the world, is actually a verse from Romans. It is Romans 12:12, which reads: Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

That verse is a small piece of a larger scripture, Romans 12:9-12

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"says the Lord. On the contrary:

"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I suppose that right now, in life, I am learning to hope... and perhaps to love as well... Today was a good day. I do hope tomorrow is better.

.

No comments: