Sunday, April 27, 2008

me vs world

For those of you that dont know me very well... you should be warned that I have a very anti-peer-pressure mentality towards life. Quite literally, probably the best way to get me to "jump off a cliff" would be to have a bunch of people telling me to NOT jump, lol

Yes this is weird... but it is just the way I am. (no, I am not suicidal... just trying to illustrate a point) It is not that I am inherently rebellious, but rather, I have just found that I want to go a different direction in life than most people are on the road to. I am not saying that my path is any better or worse.. just different. Hence, the tile quote of my blog.

I am not sure when this started... the whole: "I want a different life than my friends". At times, I have taken this too far... actually jumping off of some cliffs, just trying to NOT be like everyone else. Now, I have level myself out (somewhat), but I am still taking a different path than many of my friends. Like, I said, I am not exactly sure when it started, but I do remember one of my first defining moments... when I realized I didnt agree with the world...

I was probably 8 years old... and it was right after a baseball game... we were all walking in line, and I was wearing red. I was in the middleish of the line, and the kids behind me and in front of me were making fun of some new song. The song: Mmmbop by Hanson. Now, I knew nothing about this song, and so just laughed along with them... I even remember making a mental note that this song was "dorky", though I did not know why. Well, eventually, I listened to the song... and the funny thing was: I liked it. Once more, I could not possibly comprehend anyone NOT liking the song.... Sure this is a juvenile story, but it is one of my childhood memories that I can recall vividly at whim... and I think this is one of the reasons why. This event marked the beginning of me holding a different view than the "popular" opinion.

Sure, being as old as we are now... this sounds silly, as many people like many different kinds of music. To me though, this was in the age of peer pressure overwhelm. And yet, I choose to listen to Hanson despite all of my baseball friends thinking they were horrible. Soon to follow: silly haircuts, being horribly dressed, and arguing with every teacher I had.

In honor of 8-year-old me vs world... here is a song from a great artist:



:-)

No comments: