Thursday, April 24, 2008

Specialization

People should stick to what they are good at... and I mean that in all areas of life.

Dont get me wrong, I am all for expanding your horizons... but, well... maybe I should rephrase my statement:

If someone is really good at something, you should let them do their job... When I get my hair cut, I dont try and describe the style I want... I just tell them to make me look good. :-) When someone comes over to repair the cable internet... I dont whip out my computer knowledge (as it is in a related, but still separate field)... rather, I just let them do their job, and move on with life. When I go to pick out clothes, I usually ask for someone's opinion (that I trust in the style industry)... I know that I am not inherently fashionable... and so I leave decisions of fashion up to them. (by them, I usually mean my sisters, or one of the sales ladies). My only concern is if the clothes are comfortable... after that, I will let more intelligent people make the call on whether or not it looks good.

(begin Lost rant)
When one of the Others cross the island, and Sayid wants to interrogate him to see if he is one of the Others, or just a lost balloonist (as he was claiming)... Jack the doctor should stick to his own freaking business and let the man do his job.
(end Lost rant)

The point is, micromanaging is a bitch. It is better for you and for them (and their growth) to just let the professionals do their job. Sure, a mistake may be made... but at least they learn from it, instead of you becoming more non-trusting of the outside world.

Case in point: Stick to your guns... know where you are weak, admit to it, and adjust accordingly.

No comments: