Wednesday, April 02, 2008

people and their choice

The beautiful thing about the state of humanity is that we are defined by our capacity to make decisions. While some would argue that a person becomes more and more capable of of making "better decisions" as they grow older, I suppose that you could also argue the opposite, that as people within a society grow older, they not only become more "stuck in their ways" (for better or for worse), but there is a general indoctrination that occurs by one person being within the same group for a long enough period of time. No matter how "independent" you may be, your peers inevitably will have an effect on your life... pushing you towards something they endorse, or away from it by your own observation and decision to not follow such a lifestyle.

What separates us from all of creation, including the animals is that we have a distinct and capable ability to choose. So great is this capacity, that God even hangs our eternity upon the ability to make a decision. Granted, he does help to influence the decision by allowing us to make a decision through a pre-fall mindset (with the aid of the Holy Spirit), but at the end of the day, it is our choice.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that "choice" is the very thing that defines us as individuals. While we are all born with different traits and characteristics, I strongly believe that we define our own identity by the decisions that we make day in and day out. Call me crazy, but I believe that you can choose the type of person you want to be in life.

From a Christian view, I believe this is what salvation is all about. I do not believe that salvation is simply choosing between heaven or a lake of fire... but rather that we are here on earth, given a lifetime to decide if we want a relationship with God. If we choose yes, then after our death, we are given eternity with Him. If we choose no, then God, in his benevolence, allows his creation to live in eternal separation from Him. While this is often discribed as a "lake of fire", I am totally fine with that discription being metaphorical, as a Christian would surely view eternity with out God to be a lake of fire. To those who reject the Christian truth, they are given what they asked for, to finally be left alone for all of eternity.

At the end of the day though, the concept of salvation, to me, is all about choosing God or rejecting Him. To those that choose God, they will get what they want (by the mercy and grace of God). To those who reject Him, they will be forever left alone. While such a decision breaks my heart over and again, it is still their choice, and one only they can make. Sorry to any Calvinist out there, but I fail to believe that God forces anyone to accept Him.


In response to an Anonymous post on my last entry, requesting that I be completely sure of whatever I am teaching... I say thank you, but no thank you. I do not think it is necessary to fully verify everything that I "teach" to the nth degree. Every day, I will go out into the world with the Truth that I know, and the humbleness of knowing that I am still maturing as a person. With regards to my interaction to society, I would hope that at the end of the day, someone found some trait or piece of information in me worth holding on to. If not, then I would hope that I showed them something or someone that they did NOT want to be later in life.... While it is always good to lead by example, I dont think that example must always be the correct example.

At the end of the day, people must decide for their own self what truth or principles they are willing to accept and implement into their own life. If they do not accept what I am offering, then I hope that they at least make a decision in another direction so as to get them out of the luke-warmness of indecision.

When I said that I wanted to teach no matter where I am going or what I am doing, I mean that as a person, I want to challenge people to change and evolve. The direction that evolution goes, however, is their decision not mine.

That being said, I do ensure you reader that I push people only in the directions that I believe to be correct and true. It would be absolutely horrible if I were simply manipulating people in a direction of evil or injustice. If that were the case, then certainly your comment would hold weight. However, as of now, for whatever it is worth, I ensure you that I am not out to manipulate any of the people that I come in contact with. My job, as a friend to those I meet, is to push people to finally own their thoughts, own their faith, and own their identity. Whoever they end up being later in life, I want it to be their choice, and not simply a byproduct of the indoctrination of our society.

Whether or not you agree with society's projection of truth, I think you can agree that it is important that every citizen to hold their own beliefs for their own reasons, and not simply try to "fit in with the mold" because the mold exists.

At the end of the day, I want people to know where they stand in life, instead of being pushed around by one good sounding philosophy after another. I would hate for anyone to show up on judgement day saying "maybe".

No comments: