Saturday, April 12, 2008

MRS degree

I see nothing wrong with traditional gender roles or someone going to college for their MRS degree...

I am not advocating it personally, but I would certainly defend anyone who was attacked for being in that position.

Simply put, if someone chooses to use their time in life right now to prepare to be a great mother and wife, and they are primarily in college to advance their social skill sets, and to find the person they want to spend the rest of their life with... that totally sounds like a good idea to me.

As a caveat of my opinion though... so you know where I am coming from... The reader of this should know that I do not personally think a college degree is necessary to be successful... but I do think having a good family, and being in a relationship that encourages growth and prosperity (in all areas of life) is very instrumental in success after you get out of your time in school.

To me, college is first about learning how to live your life, and second about developing a skill set to make you valuable to society later on. If a woman has decided that she is called to marriage and a family that she would want to devote her life to, then by all means, that is what her time in college should be directed towards. So to that end, I think man hunting = bad... but preparing yourself for marriage, and going into college with the expectation of finding someone to marry = good.

This sounds horrible to make this comparison... but going into college for a MRS degree probably has the same net profitability in its intended major as any other graduate holding a separate diploma.... in simpler words, many people go to college for one degree, and come out with another. It would not surprise me if just as many girls who go into college for their MRS degree find their happily-ever-after (not just A marriage) as girls who go into college for any other degree.

Random opinion... you can direct your knives and fire at someone who is more of a sadist than I... haha.

No comments: