Monday, April 28, 2008

Laws, I break them: Oh the Irony

Okay... someone please explain!

In oklahoma, a 16 year old girl can get married without parental consent...

However, that same 16 year old girl does not have the legal right to disclose to the class whether or not she is taking prescription medication.

WTF?!?

Today in class, we were talking about chemical dependancy... and I asked if anyone was taking Ritalin. Well, it turns out that it is against the law for me to ask such a question... so, setting aside the weirdness of that law (though I understand it).

Someone please explain why our legal system will allow a 16 year old to enter into a supposedly life-long contract with another human that she presumably wants to live with and start a family with... all without contacting her parents. However, that same 16 year old girl does not have the legal capacity to disclose her medical status to the class regarding something as simple as being ADD/ADHD.

Really, if someone has an explanation... I would love to hear it.

I suppose it is something similar to the irony that men are allowed to enlist in the US Military at 18, but not allowed to drink until 21.

No comments: