Thursday, May 01, 2008

Democratic Process

There are several things I do not understand right now...

First, after watching an episode of Boston Legal last night... I was suddenly made aware that we dont actually live in a democracy. Apparently, and I was totally unaware of this... but a person's votes actually are only a suggestion. When the people of the United States vote in the primaries... they are actually only suggesting who is nominated for their respective party (Democrat or Republican). It turns out that "delegates" actually make that decision for the people.

Right now, the Democratic national party is in a bit of a bind... as the race between Obama and Hillary is so tight that neither side can win by a large enough margin. Now, the race is to see who can obtain the greatest number of "delegates"... which means, the choice for the democratic national candidate rests in the hands of something like 4,000 people... and not in the hands of millions of Americans.

Putting the irony of all this aside, I really have only one question: Does anybody know, for fact, the difference between Obama and Clinton's proposed changes to the United States? I hear a lot of speculation, but I can no figure out, in plain and simple English, what it is that Obama and Hillary wish to actually change about the United States... and how their plans differ.

And what I really can no figure out is... why we arent doing anything about the national debt... Yes, yes... I know there are apparently "bigger issues" to deal with... but the increasing national debt certainly isnt helping. Right now, I believe we are around 9.5 trillion dollars in debt.... $9.5 trillion. At our current rate, we are accumulating over $1.5 billion in debt per day. Not only does this rape our economy... but it is also butchering our gas prices and our international trade.

Just to put this into perspective for you... if we had a $9.5 trillion surplus... invested at 8% gain annually... the government would be making over $2 billion dollars a day, just from the accumulated interest. (yes, I know that is not the way gov money works... this is just to make a point) There are so many problems in America right now that would be radically helped with the assistance of money.

That being said... I think it is about time the US Gov worked on some fundamentals. In reality, it seems that current politicians are like fire fighters who run into a building without their gear on because they heard screaming. While their programs/ approaches may seem noble... in the long run, it is best to prepare yourself for full service, so that you can serve generations to come... and not just die a martyr.

Personal analogy: It is like me going to college. Sure, I could run off and start life now... but in the long run, I will be better equipped spending these next few years on ME. It is hard, because there is so much to do in life... but it is necessary.

I wish our government would get the same message. I wish the US people would start thinking more long term... and I mean that on many levels.

No comments: