Thursday, May 01, 2008

"The One"

I believe it is almost necessary for me to believe in "the one"... simply because my vision of a happily ever after is held in such high esteem.

To clarify, I am not stating that I have this ideal image of a woman that I am looking for. Rather, I have this ideal image of our relationship, and that is what I am waiting for. At times, it seems that such idealism is foolish, especially in such a lost and confused world.

In addendum to my previous quote, perhaps I should add in a few words... that "no normal woman could possibly measure up". I suppose this does make me somewhat elitist in my desires, however, I do also believe that such elitism is my right. I am not looking for just a cute girl, or just a nice girl that I can make things work with. I am not looking for a relationship that is only 15% dysfunctional, or one that works "most of the time"... I have dated some really great girls in the past, and had some decent relationships.

However, that is not what I want to invest my life into. I have said before that my faith in "the one" seems to parallel my faith in God. Sure, given all the logic and evidence in this world, one could strongly contend (as many do), that God does not exist. Even many in the church do not believe in the same God that I do. However, there is just no possible way to convince me otherwise. When it comes to the God that I love, I just know, without need for any further confirmation than the resonance in my soul.

In the same way, when it comes to there being "the one", her existence simply resonates within me. Granted, when you take into consideration human choice, then a large factor of her being "the one" will be determined by us both choosing each other. To explain this, I offer Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.” There is this idea in scripture, that while marriage and birth are the choice of man, the resulting person (and their purpose in life) is known by God even before their birth.... and then implanted in their soul as a strong desire. (the word desire can even be translated as "of or from the father")

In that light, while I am sure that man has chosen the location and appearance of this woman, I know also that God has already pre-ordained us to live a great life together. In the end, it will be our choice to live a life together, and our continual decision to stay together. However, I would be foolish to not also state that long before I even started thinking about girls (which was a while ago, lol), God already had us paired up... setting a resonance of Truth within our souls so that one day, we would know that it was time to be together.

That being said, I believe there is a woman out there that I will choose to spend my life with, to start a family with, and to enjoy this world with. This is also why I am not dating around right now, and why I believe in true love being possible at first sight (or maybe by the end of the first date, lol).

Otherwise, it seems like relationships are nothing but shopping at a thrift store... just trying to find something that comes close to fitting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your habit of framing relationships off of your relationship with God puts you in grave danger of thinking that you are bestowing love upon someone who is completely undeserving.

Zac said...

except for the fact that regarding the analogy... i see myself as man, not God.

therein, i suppose i run the danger of assuming a disposition that i am not deserving of my "partners" love... which, is probably true.