Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Wind Farms

I am all for green technologies. Not so much because I care about the environment... but moreso because I think that they are really cool, and smog is yucky.

That being said, I have a general question about them. This question applies to geothermal generators (the ones that are powered by the earth's heat), as well as Wind Turbine Farms... though, I think my question will make more sense if we just think about it in terms of a Wind Farm.

Okay, here it goes:

How do Wind Turbine not mess up the environment by slowing down the natural wind currents? I was under the impression that wind was like the tides... an environmental equilibrium system. Correct me if I am wrong here, but all that "wind" is, is the merging of hot an cool bodies of air... where in, the hot bodies flow the to cold bodies, causing air to move, and thus wind.

If large farms of Wind Turbines are setup, wouldn't that slow down the equalization of temperature globally? Sure, it would be fractional and miniscule at best, but doesnt every percentage count? In the same regard, how are geothermal generators not doing the same thing? When the earth needs to release energy/heat, it rises through specific areas. Modern people want to place generators over that area to convert the released heat into usable energy. While I appreciate the technology, doest that make the atmosphere in the area generally cooler? Sure, the heat will be released again later (thanks to a handy Newton's law), but not where it was intended to be released.

This all bothers me. The earth has a natural cycle to it... and it seems that some of these technologies, while not as harmful as burning hydrocarbons, arent quite the savors they are cracked up to be. I just dont understand why nobody ever talks about this side effect to these "green technologies".


While pondering this today, I came up with my own generator... and it uses two energy sources that are self-replenishing: gravity and magnetism. As many of you know, there is already a technology in place that is using the moon's gravity to create electricity... essentially, wave generators are placed in the ocean, and use the tide (and thus moon's gravity indirectly) to generate electricity. Well, obviously I have the same problem with that as I do the Wind Farms... so here is my idea: We should take water out of the picture completely.

Essentially, instead of water, we could use a lop-sided magnetic sphere that would float above its cradle via magnetism. Then, as the moon rotates the earth, it would spin the sphere ever-so slowly, just as it pulls and releases the water. However, instead of bouncing a generating buoy in the water, you connect a generator to the sphere and allow its rotation to create electricity.

I think it would work... just like my African Glass Water Pipeline / Electric Generator. :-)

Oh, you know... my solution to saving all of Africa... hehe

No comments: